Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My 2010....least expect it, and expect nothing in return..

Bismillahirahmanirrahim..

Assalamualaikum..

Many years ago, I was sitting with a friend discussing her recent engagement. My friend and her boyfriend had been dating for some time, and even though it was clear they were meant for each other, their long courtship had been filled with break-ups and reunions. I remember looking at her pointedly:

"I want to ask you a question," I said. "First of all, I think it's great that you and Fazli are getting married. But I was wondering: how do you know that you want to spend the rest of your life with him? How do you know you'll love him forever?"

Her answer surprised me: "Well," she smiled, "I know some people were surprised when we actually went ahead and got engaged, considering how rocky our relationship must seem. But the truth is, frankly, I don't think love is an emotion. Love is a decision. And I know I want to commit myself to deciding to love him every day, for the rest of my life. And he feels the same about me."

I'm sure my twenty-something-year-old self thought her answer was highly unromantic. But as I've gotten older, I've realized she's right: love isn't just that exhilarating rush you get when someone walks into the room. It's is also the decision to consciously love, even when the going gets a bit rough. It's the decision to do something nice for someone when they least expect it, and expect nothing in return.

Coming into 2010, I'm thankful that I remembered this conversation I had with my friend so long ago. I think, for this coming 2010, I'm going to make the decision to love someone every day and try to do something unexpectedly kind for someone I love, whether it's a family member, or a friend, or a stranger or even a charity whose work I admire. If you're so inclined, I challenge you to do the same.

These are the most important people in my life for now.... my lovely family!! i would sold my soul just to be with them!!! Love you guys till my last breath..