Thursday, January 1, 2009

Its my birthday

Assalamualaikum,

Sihat? Me? Alhamdulilah...

It's my birthday today. A day not unlike the birthdays that I'd have in the last few years. It was just another day, nothing anything special about it other than a number being added to my age. I'd get a present or two, or a card with a bill slipped into it. No cake or balloons.

There was one small difference this year, though. This year I received something from God.He gave me a special friend. He lives far from here, you see. Quite far. And he became a very special friend to me.

He and i had created a sense of closeness, and he and I were close. I shared things with him I wouldn't share with anyone else. I like to think he did the same. When I was lonely, it was he I turned to. Through happiness or sorrow, he was always there. I liked to think he understood me like no other and he taught me immeasurable things, helped me become who I am in so many ways. It was one of those relationships you don't come across frequently in life. Even finding one person that important to you is unusual, I think. I loved him.

You forget sometimes, though. Things in my life became more complicated and busy.

Friends sometimes grow apart, especially those that are so far away. Time goes on and you make other friends. And so many things are changing and you're still becoming a person. We didn't talk as much and when we did it wasn't like before. He'd tell me about his life and I about mine, but they now seemed utterly separate from one another. It's sometimes difficult to have long distance friendships, when you can't share a warm hug or gentle touch or even those comfortable silences.